Monday, November 12, 2007


I have a reputation with my friends as a person who enjoys “weird” things. They make fun of me for enjoying artistic movies/music and art that differ from the norm of society. However, when it comes to this video “In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins I feel absolutely no fondness for the present “weirdness”. I dislike his face in the video, and think that it is creepy. I can even say that for the most part I appreciate songs with no actual meaning or symbolism. I thoroughly enjoyed the video “Seven Nation Army” by the White Stripes, which was criticized for being “pointless”. The first time I ever saw this Phil Collins video was on VH1’s “100 greatest songs of the 80’s”. I remember watching it and wondering what the heck Phil Collins was thinking. I was confronted with the video again in another VH1 special, “Behind the Music” and began to wonder what brought Phil Collins, an artist I generally enjoy, to write this song. When I went to my computer that day to uncover the meaning behind the madness of this song and video I expected to come across some deep meaning which was intricately woven into the lyrics. After a couple hours of fruitless searching, however, I had to except Phil Collins’ own explaination of the video, “
I don't know what this song is about. When I was writing this I was going through a divorce. And the only thing I can say about it is that it's obviously in anger. It's the angry side, or the bitter side of a separation.”
To this day whenever I encounter this video, or hear this song on the radio I generally respond by making a disgusted noise and changing the channel. It is a video I can not, no matter how much I wish I could, bring myself to enjoy in any way.

1 comment:

ENG 001: Language and Writing said...

I agree completely that this is one of the worst music videos ever. I was actually going to use this video for my blog, but I found, in my opinion, a worse song. This music video is terrible. Nothing goes on in it, they are just random snapshots and scenes. The video does nothing for the song (and the song needs a little help) to make it more loveable to adiences. I tried to give the song a chance in high school when one of my best friends took a major liking to it, but I just could not do it. The only part that I liked was the drum break down, but I found myself just praying it would come sooner each time. I am not a big fan of this song or video because I think they are both rather odd. It just isn't my taste of music.